Tetrahydrofuran (THF) is a clear, colorless, volatile, and water-miscible liquid. It has low viscosity at standard temperature and has the formula C4H8O. It has smell similar to diethyl ether and is one of the most polar ethers.
|Purity||99.993 wt %|
|Color||< 5 APHA|
|Specific Gravity (20/4°C)||0.88746|
· Tetrahydrofuran has many uses in the industrial marketplace. It is a versatile industrial solvent for natural and synthetic resins and is a solvent used in the production of nylon. It is also an industrial solvent for PVC.
· Tetrahydrofuran is also a valuable chemical intermediate as it is a precursor to polymers, such as poly (tetra methylene ether) glycol.
· The primary use of this polymer is the production of elastomeric polyurethane fibers like Spandex.
· It is also an intermediate in the natural gas industry where it is a natural gas odorant.
· It is also used as a reaction medium, primarily in the pharmaceutical industry, in processes such as Grignard syntheses or lithium aluminum hydride reductions.