Dimethyl formamide appears as a water-white liquid with a faint fishy odor having chemical formula HCON(CH3)2. It is widely used in industries as a solvent, an additive, or an intermediate because of its extensive miscibility with water and most common organic solvents.
|pH at 25°C in 20% solution||7.0|
|Conductivity in 20% water @ 250C||0.80|
|Dimethyl Form amide Content (%wt.)||99.98|
|Water Content (%w)||0.005|
|Methanol Content (%wt.)||< 0.001|
|Acidity as Formic Acid (mg/kg)||4.0|
|Base as DMA (mg/kg)||1.0|
· Dimethyl formamide is commonly used as a solvent.
· It is used as a reagent in Bouveault aldehyde synthesis and also in Vilsmeier-Haack reaction.
· It acts as a catalyst in the synthesis of acyl chlorides.
· It is used for separating and refining crude from olefin gas.
· DMF along with methylene chloride acts as a remover of varnish or lacquers.
· It is also used in the manufacture of adhesives, fibers and films.
· DMF penetrates most plastics and makes them swell. Because of this property DMF is suitable for solid phase peptide synthesis and as a component of paint strippers