Hexamine or urotropin, is a heterocyclic organic compound with the formula C6H12N4. It appears as white crystalline compound and it is highly soluble in water and polar organic solvents. It has a cage-like structure similar to adamantine. It is useful in the synthesis of other chemical compounds, e.g., plastics, pharmaceuticals, rubber additives.
|Appearance||White Crystalline Free Flowing Powder|
|HMT Content (%)||99.50|
|pH 25°C of aqueous extract||8.60|
|Moisture Content (%)||< 0.3|
|Ammonia NH3 (%)||< 0.01|
|Sulphate Content (%)||< 0.0020|
· Hexamine is used in the rubber industry to prevent vulcanized rubber from blocking and as an accelerator.
· It has its uses as a curing agent for thermosetting resins (particularly phenyl-formaldehyde and urea-formaldehyde resins.
· It is also used as a food additive as a preservative (INS number 239).
· Hexamine is used in the production of nitrilotriacetic acid and in the manufacture of adhesives and coatings.
· Hexamine also has its contribution in pharmaceuticals especially for intestinal infection.