Dimethyl sulfoxide is a 2-carbon sulfoxide in which the sulfur atom has two methyl substituents. Dimethyl sulfoxide appears as a clear liquid, essentially odorless. It is a highly polar organic liquid that is used widely as a chemical solvent and a free radical scavenger.
|Purity (DMSO) %||99.93|
|Crystallization Point °C||18.34|
|Acid Value MGKOH/G||0.02|
|Refractive Index (20°C)||1.4786|
· DMSO is frequently used as a solvent for chemical reactions involving salts, most notably Finkelstein reactions and other nucleophile substitutions.
· It is also extensively used as an extract ant in biochemistry and cell biology.
· DMSO is used in polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to inhibit secondary structures in the DNA template or the DNA primers.
· DMSO may also be used as a cry protectant, added to cell media to reduce ice formation and thereby prevent cell death during the freezing process.
· medicine, DMSO is predominantly used as a topical analgesic, a vehicle for topical application of pharmaceuticals, as an anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant. Because DMSO increases the rate of absorption of some compounds through biological tissues, including skin, it is used in some transdermal drug delivery systems.