Tri-N-Butylamine is a tertiary amine. It is a colorless liquid with a tendency to change to pale yellow on prolonged storage. It is miscible with acetone, ethanol, ethyl ether and most organic solvents.
It is immiscible with water. Tri-N-Butylamine is an important commercial chemical.
· Tri-n-butyl amine is a significant chemical intermediate in the production of phase transfer catalysts like tributylmethylammonium chloride and tributylbenzylammonium chloride.
· It is widely used in pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, surfactants, lubricant additives, vulcanization accelerators and dyes.
· It acts as a catalyst and as a solvent in organic syntheses and polymerization reactions.
· A major use of TNBA is as a strong base anion exchanger, acid acceptor, inhibitor in hydraulic fluids and an emulsifying agent.
· Further, it is used to prepare photographic chemicals